Fabulous family friendly interior designs
Renowned interior designer, Tina Stephen gives some great tips for creating fabulous interiors that work for family friendly living:
Loving life with the little ones
- Keep well organised with storage boxes and baskets to hide away toys when the kids have gone to bed.
- Your sofa is likely to be your biggest investment in your lounge, so choose quality construction and fabrics which will stand the test of time.
- Look for occasional pieces which double as storage, so you can maintain a clutter-free lounge. A large, low coffee table can double as a lego surfaces, with underside drawers for stowing away toys.
- Choose design and art pieces for the whole family, and avoid overly kiddy styles. Invest in art pieces that you love rather than making a knee jerk reaction and buying something cheap to fill a space.
- Purchase low seating options which encourage play such as beanbags and small stools, and can easily be tucked out of the way if need be.
Entertaining the teens
- If you have a separate lounge, spare room or rumpus room, it can be easily turned into a media room for the teenage years.
- Invest in leather sofas and chairs which are low maintenance and easy to clean, then add warm layers such as Sheepskins, blankets and soft cushions for snuggling at movie time
- Choose a media cabinet with plenty of storage for games, books and media equipment, and ensure your TV is bolted to the media cabinet or use a wall bracket for safety.
- Choose cheap and cheerful posters such as giant vintage movie posters, to add colour and sense of fun.
- Include lighting sources which create atmosphere, rather than a single overhead light fixture. Floor and table lamps with dimmers are a quick and easy way to achieve a soft, low level light.
Where can I buy these fabulous accessories?
Mood Board, Family Room:
Lundia Box Shelving, Lundia
Eames Elephant Stool, Matisse
Sage and Clare Beanbag, Sage and Clare
Flip around Stool, Let Liv
Holly Roach Print from Endemic World
Mood Board, Media Room
Vintage Prints, Pop Motif
Ottoman, Kathryn Leah Payne